Twice Adopted

Sitting at the airport, I observed the warm embrace of children, lovers, parents, and friends. I saw tears flow. Tears of happiness and sadness. Greetings and farewells rang through the air. The intensity of human emotion struck me like never before. Clearly, we were meant for relationships; not loneliness.

A year ago, in July of 2009, the long search for my birth mother ended when my 19 year old daughter found her obituary on the internet, along with her photograph. Even at 85 years old, I immediately saw the resemblance and knew without a doubt that she was my mother. She had passed away only two months prior.

The obituary listed her six older brothers. Five were described as "preceded in death" and one was still living at age ninety seven. I discovered that one, a twin, had passed away at age 14 from a misdiagnosed ruptured appendix. The other five served in the military for years. One had been a pilot and had made a heroic emergency water landing in the Pacific Ocean. It was only after the Coast Guard had been delayed that the plane sunk into the frigid water. The pilot and all but six passengers died of hypothermia. Another was shot down and taken prisoner in Germany. I felt a lump in my throat. Could I really be related to such valient men? If only I could have known them. Other relatives ("survived by") were listed as well, which seemed like a great place to begin.

I could feel my heart pounding when I dialed the number of an aunt. She was more than bewildered and very skeptical. Understandably, she requested proof of my identity, which I sent immediately. Two weeks later, I received a very sweet voice message on my cell phone from a cousin in Maryland. I returned her call and learned more about my newly found family. For a year, we emailed one another became virtually acquainted. They graciously invited me to their family reunion to be held in July,  2010.

Now here I was at Denver International Airport, waiting for my flight. I would arrive that afternoon in Minneapolis to meet them for the first time.

I stayed there for a week, soaking in stories of days gone by, studying photos, reading articles and letters. I was either laughing or crying every moment of my stay. It was incredibly humbling to be welcomed and embraced by those who had never known me. Everyone I met commented how much I resembled my mother, both physically and in manorism.

The homestead where my grandparents raised their six children is still there and is well cared for. I climbed up into the hay loft of the old barn where they worked and played year after year. I stood before the river that runs through the property and could see them splashing and laughing. Gazing up at the old oak tree, I saw the rope swinging in the wind which once held a tire swing. I could see my mother seated on it, legs dangling while being pushed by an older brother.

She was never married and never had any other children. My father's name was withheld from my birth certificate, and no one seems to know who he was. In prayer one night, I complained to God about that. He answered in His voice that I've come to know: "You are not illegitimate. I adopted you and you are Mine."

I run my finger over photographs of my mother and whisper a thank you. No doubt it was a difficult decision but the right one for both of us.


"For You created my inmost being; You knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well." 
Psalm 139:13-14



Comments

  1. Knowing you, as I now do, this story only serve to solidify what I see in you. A strong will, a sense of adventure, a love for people and the sincere value of every relationship that the Father has blessed you with.

    You have said that you take no relationship for granted. Thus, your new found birth family is blessed by the increase of 1 into the fold. Very blessed.

    Robin, you deserve the love from each of them. Even those that have passed on, before you had the chance to meet them, I believe, loved you then, and their love for you lives on to this very day.

    Relationship -- the reason God created each of us. Never take a single one for granted.

    John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt