Shaking Like A Leaf

The heavy early Colorado snow storms always damage our trees. The leaves are not quite off when the storm hits and the weight is just too much. The streets are lined with broken branches as drivers dodge through the obstacle courses and city workers try feverishly to clear the way. 

I looked out the window and noticed even still, the day after Thanksgiving, there are a few stubborn leaves desperately hanging on for dear life. When the wind comes up, they shake before finally letting go and fluttering to the ground. But in doing so, they relieve the trees for the next storm.

I sometimes I hold on to things with a fear of letting go, even though I know that if I would just take the risk of falling, it would relieve others of heavy burden. I may be shaking like a leaf - but God, give me the courage to let go of things that are better off without me.

"So hold me, Jesus, cuz I'm shaking like a leaf.
You have been King of my glory, won't You be my Prince of Peace?"   - Rich Mullins



Comments

  1. Robin:

    This is the one you suggested I read, as we discussed having insecurities. One of which I let you know about. My fear of the dark.

    I look at my military experiences and some of the things that I did, was ordered to do, during that time. I recall, when my daughter was younger, she asked, "Daddy, were you ever afraid?" I would tell her, "every time."

    It is baffling to me how we can be afraid and be brave at the same time. I heard of a comment that a military hero made when it was said of he and others he served with that they were braver than most. He responded, "we aren't braver than anyone else, we were just brave a few seconds longer."

    I have many fears, many insecurities. As a man, due to sinful pride, this is so difficult to admit. Yet in doing so, I release them just enough to open the door for the one who is knocking, to come in.

    Our Messiah not only took our sins to the Cross, he took our infirmaties, our fears, our insecurities. When the Holy Spirit falls upon us, these things are covered. We can let go. We will be caught and held so tenderly.

    John M. Padilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, I love that John "caught up and held". Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt