Train Them Up

I can always count on God meeting me in the classroom of my flower garden. The place where my Teacher can actually capture my attention and impress upon me unforgettable lessons. 


This one came from my purple Clematis. It climbs up the wooden lattice, weaving in and out, through and around the openings. This flowering vine must be guided gently in the desired direction while it's growing. If not consistently directed, the Clematis - like any other vine - will quickly become unruly. After only a short time, it had latched onto the nearby aspens.


I stood gazing up, shaking my head. This was the result of my own neglect. Although beautiful and healthy, it was completely out of control!  What followed was the painful and tedious task of prying it away from the aspen grove back onto it's intended boundary.


Then it came. The subtle tap on the shoulder accompanied by His familiar voice. "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it."  Proverbs 22:6.


Parents set the course for their children when they're young by teaching them about God. Children who have been raised well take those lessons with them into adulthood. Conversely, children who are neglected or undisciplined often go their own ways. They may look good on the outside while in reality are out of control and headed for destruction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt