Keep Making Me

Having a broken leg has been a new experience for me. I will never look at people with crutches the same. As common as it is, I had never broken a limb before (only ribs), so I had never been in a cast. It happened in Mexico on February 14. I was attempting to body surf in a very powerful wave - timed it wrong - got caught in it (rather than on top of it), twisting inside-out like a pretzel. My foot went backwards just before I was slammed down to the ocean floor. I came home the next day and was put in a cast. Determined to keep my busy schedule, I went to a friend's concert on a snowy night the following week. The floor was slippery and... you guessed it... my crutch went out from under me on the same side as my broken leg. Even in with the cast, I managed to "displace" (doctor's term) the bone further. Viewing the x-rays, the Orthopedic Surgeon said if it moves any further he will have to "rebreak" it in order to it to heal correctly. The very thought of that frightened me so much that I seriously considered becoming a hermit/couch potato for the next 6 weeks. Of course, that's not an option and very much opposed to my nature.
Today I heard a song by Sidewalk Prophets that made me think about how God may have to re-break our already broken spirit in order to heal us properly. But we would have to trust Him "the Great Physician" (Luke 5:31)  just as I would have to trust in the surgeon. The lyrics rang true all the way down to my soul:
Make me broken so I can be healed, ‘cause I’m so calloused and now I can’t feel. I want to run to You with heart wide open. Make me broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqap3BvxJAw

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt