Who's Your Daddy?

While lounging quietly on my balcony, my attention was drawn to the ruckus below. There, on the sidewalk, a screaming little boy threw his body at his father's feet in a fit of rage. It was readily apparent that he did not get something that he was convinced he both needed and deserved.

I could not understand most of the little guy's words. However, his emotional display spoke volumes.

I watched as his father stooped down at eye level. The boy looked down at the ground with pouting lips. Then the man said calmly, "look at me." Refusing to look up, the boy's shoulders shook with each dramatic whimper. Then the man gently placed his hand under his son's chin and repeated, "I said look at me." The boy's big blue eyes were filled with tears as looked at his father. "That was not okay", the man said. "Do you understand me? You will be punished if I see that behavior again. Do you understand me?" The boy slowly nodded.

Then the man swooped him up with his big, strong arms and continued walking, hugging and kissing him along the way.

I often do not get what I am sure I need and deserve. I have thrown myself at my heavenly Father's feet in frustration, confusion, and even defiance, telling Him that He is not fair and that He doesn't understand.

Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. Without exception, I can hear His gentle voice once my grumbling subsides. "Look at Me", He says. He tells me to trust Him because His ways are not my ways (Isaiah 55:8). He tells me that I am His child and that His love is unconditional.

While it is guaranteed that in this life we will not comprehend everything God allows or prohibits, we can rest assured that He knows the plans He has for us (Jeremiah 29:11) and that He is working all things together for the good of those who know Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28). There is no earthly bond that can compare to the love of our perfect, unfailing, gracious Father.




Comments

  1. Thank you Father, for the little boys display in Robin's presence, inspiring her to write again. It has been far too long since her always well placed words have been seen. My heart has missed them so just as it misses her.

    May your continued and gentle blessing rain down upon her in your ever unmovable, unshakable love.

    -- John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt