Signs of the Times

This is the time of year when the Colorado weather becomes unpredictable. Nights are getting colder and days bring frequent downpours. I met a close friend last night who lives on his motorcycle as much as possible. He also keeps a close watch on weather patterns as part of his job requirement. When I told him about never knowing when I should ride my bicycle or catch a bus he smiled and said that he sees coworkers who get stuck for lack of planning and it makes him shake his head and think "common guys, didn't you hear the forecast?" (or worse - perhaps they heard but chose to ignore it).

Jesus made a similar comment. "When evening comes, you say, ‘It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,’ and in the morning, ‘Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.’ You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.” (Matthew 16:2-4). Jesus then left them and went away (his frustration further indicated in the following passages).

What was the "sign" they were looking for? Well, He had just fed four thousand people with seven loaves of bread and a few small fish. But that wasn't enough. The more miraculous signs He performed, the more they demanded of Him. Jesus' anger and frustration was because He knew their hearts. He knew that they were missing the point of His miracles and were only wanting entertainment. He dealt with that attitude throughout His ministry, even during His crucifixion. According to Luke, when Herod saw Jesus, he was greatly pleased, because for a long time he had been wanting to see him. From what he had heard about him, he hoped to see him perform a sign of some sort. (Luke 23:7-9). Fast forward to the cross. The witnesses surrounding Him commented to one another, "He saved others, but he can’t save himself! He’s the king of Israel! Let him come down now from the cross, and we will believe in him." (Matthew 27:41-43). Again, missing the point of His life as well as His death.

What about us? What are we looking for in order to both believe and trust in Him? What must He do for us and when is it ever enough?

It is clear that Jesus has protected, provided and guided me throughout my life, even up my car accident a month ago when I fell asleep behind the wheel. Flying out of control across a major interstate and then down an embankment, I walked away uninjured. Yet I have to remind myself constantly of His protection when doubt creeps in.

When we come to the place where nothing more is required - when dying for us and taking away our sins is all we need to place our trust fully in Him - it is only then that we will know true peace in spite of our circumstances.



Comments

  1. In times together, Robin, you and I have spoken of how there were instances when my life should have ended. Particularly when an AK-47 round pierced my Kevlar vest and embedded itself into my chest, directly above my heart. Had the shooter or myself been one step closer to each other, well, the result would be drastically different.

    You had always told me that the Lord had other plans for me. That He is not done with me. Thus, he saved me.

    Robin, I repeat your words back to you. The Lord has not finished with you. His work continues in you. You, yourself are a beautiful miracle. The saving of your life a month ago is a beautiful miracle within a beautiful miracle.

    I have always appreciated your ability to see the Father's fingerprints in everything, EVERYTHING.

    As always, thank you for sharing. Your words are always so colorfully artistic.

    -- John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt