Marked For Protection

On a Recent 60 Minutes Special entitled "The Race to Save the Tortoise", reporters searched for the world's most endangered tortoise, the Ploughshare. 

After a gruelingly long hike on the deserted beach of Madagascar, they finally came upon one peacefully basking in the scorching sun. Asian countries love gold, and this is a gold tortoise with a high price on it's head. It is poached and sold for upwards of $60,000.00 on the black market.

 In a desperate effort to save the rare beauty's life, one man gently lifted it from it's comfortable position and began feverishly carving into it's beautiful shell, scarring it forever. The poachers would now pass over it because it was completely devalued.

The story reminded me of the very first murder ever committed. Fueled with jealousy, Cain coaxed his brother Abel into a field where he brutally murdered him. According to the Biblical record, God punished Cain by casting him from His presence, sentencing him to wander as a vagabond in wilderness of Nod. Terrified of being attacked and murdered himself, he cried out to God in fear. God then explained to Cain that He had placed a mark on him so that no one who found him would kill him (Genesis 4:15).

Later, God would allow sinful men to viciously torture and execute His own Son. Jesus Christ would bare the marks in His hands and feet in order to protect those who would believe on Him from eternal punishment.

"But he was pierced for our transgressions,  he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed." Isaiah 53:5.

How can we possibly go through life rejecting this Truth clearly revealed within the pages of Scripture? Can we grasp the marring of His perfection? If so, the only response required is a humble acceptance of God's amazing grace; His sacrifice on our behalf.

“Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24


Comments

  1. As a then "90 minute Christian", in my brokenness, I cried out to the Lord. Though I had no realtionship with my Father, I soon learned that He had a relationship with me. I had, before I was conceived, been marked as His. My broken and contrite heart was the only sacrifice He was waiting upon, (Psalm 51:17).

    Having been raised Catholic, approaching my Father was not something I felt that I could do. Full of fear, doubt, trepidation, I began to make my way toward Him. From a distance He recognized my "markings", He ran to me, lifted me up, embraced me and celebrated my return to Him. (Luke 15:11-24). I now live my life under the protection of the markings my Messiah bears.

    -- John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt