Unified

Two months after the weddings of my two children, I enjoy wallowing in the memories daily. The tradition in our country of the bride taking the name of her husband is rooted in Scripture and beautifully symbolic. By changing her name to his, she proclaims that she belongs to him, that she has left her father and mother and has placed her life into the hands of a man to whom she has been given the privilege of “help mate” which God ordained from the beginning (Genesis 2:18). As Eve was presented by God to her husband Adam, the bride is presented to the groom by her father.


God calls His Son, Jesus Christ, the “Bridegroom” and His church the “Bride of Christ”. His followers gladly identify themselves with Him. Just as a wife proudly bears her new name, we place our very identity in the name of Jesus Christ, Who is the head of the church (Colossians 1:18). We (his Bride) trust His guidance and the faithfulness of His promises. In the same way, man is to be the head of the home. The Apostle Paul wrote of this relationship as a “profound mystery” (Ephesians 5:23). And so it is. The Holy Spirit, referred to as the "deposit guaranteeing our inheritance" – (think engagement ring) is given to us from the moment we place our faith in the Savior. According to Scripture, one day God the Father will send His Son to receive His bride (the church) unto Himself, that where He is, there we may be also (John 14:3). At that time, there will be great wedding feast like never seen before (Revelation 19:6-9).
Perhaps this is why Jesus performed His first miracle the wedding in Cana. The joining of a man and a woman is a big deal to Him for many reasons – the primary being the picture that union represents to the world. It makes complete sense why God hates divorce (Micah 2:6), as the union of Christ and His bride (which earthly marriage is meant to represent) can never be broken.
In reference to a husband and wife, God ordained that the two should become "one flesh" (Mark 10:8; Ephesians 5:31). This is much more than a physical union. Jesus prayed to His Father that His followers would become united as one, just as Jesus and His Father are one (John 17:21).

As I write this, I am traveling to visit my recently discovered biological family. But my identity is not in them. Rather, it is in the family who adopted, nurtured, and raised me. My mother is the one who held me, rocked me, fed me, and loved me until the day she died.

Then I was adopted again. God adopted me when I received His Son into my life (2 Corinthians 6:18).  As His child, I will one day enter His house to live forever.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt