Morning Song

This morning I awoke to the sound of birds loudly singing outside my window. As I lay there listening, I challenged myself to identify different species. It almost sounded as though the swallows and robins were competing against magpies.

Suddenly it occurred to me that it is Palm Sunday - the day commemorating Jesus’ triumphal entrance into the city of Jerusalem in fulfillment Zechariah's prophecy: “The Coming of Zion’s King – See, your king comes to you, righteous and victorious, lowly and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey”. This proclamation as King of Israel angered the Sanhedrin, who viewed it as blasphemy (which in fact it would have been, had Jesus not been the long awaited Messiah as He claimed). And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples.” He answered, “I tell you, if these were silent, the very stones would cry out.” (Luke 19:37-40). Why would the stones cry out? Because all of creation will praise Him and nothing can change that including the will of man.

In unison with birds’ rejoicing at the beginning of a new day, the trees’ budding branches lifted toward heaven, and flower bulbs underground bursting up out of dormancy with a beautiful display of color - I felt a song of worship rising from within my very soul. Barely did the words escape my lips “Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna in the highest…” before lump formed in my throat and tears began welling.
I find myself completely overwhelmed with gratitude for the hope of eternal life made possible through the sacrifice of my Savior. The conquering of death was demonstrated by His resurrection. I pray that we don’t lose sight of that truth in the midst of bunnies and baskets. May this Easter be a celebration of the One Who proclaimed “I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life”, for without Him we can never truly live.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt