Super Imposing

As a Graphic Designer, a common challenge is to make objects appear into a scene to make it look as if something is there which isn't - basically, fooling the eye. The best designers make the "superimposed" image look so natural that at first glance it's not even questioned (the antithesis can be seen in tabloids).

I strive to achieve this affect not only in my career but in my personal life. If I can convince others that I'm stress-free and content on the outside, they'll not question what's really going on "behind the curtain". It's all an illusion. Smoke and mirrors. Tricks of the trade include smile, makeup, hair style. The right combination goes a long way in the facade.

That is, until I come face to face with my God. There's no fooling Him. We can sew together the fig leaves and make them as big and beautiful as we want but He goes straight to the source. We read in 1 Samuel "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart".

But He doesn't stop there. Next step? Conviction. King David wrote, "Search me, O God, and know my heart, test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23).

The problem begins when we ignore Him. Like ignoring the reflection in the mirror or the number on the scale, it will only get worse.

Thankfully, I'm a work in progress (always under construction). He assures me that because it's His work in me... there's a promise attached that He will see it to completion (Phillipians 1:6).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt