Thrilling Me Softly

This Valentine's Day happened to fall during a week of disappointment for me. I was struggling with life in general when notified of the passing of my dear uncle. This added momentum to the already downward spiral.

In the workplace, however, I noticed that it was impossible to wish others "happy Valentine's Day" without smiling. Likewise, even my normally introverted co-workers were talking and laughing more than usual. Chocolates, flowers, cards, and music contributed to the warm and fuzzy feelings, giving the delusion that the world was as it should be, if even for a day.

I came home that evening wondering what it would be like if we had "on demand" love notes sent to us. Like a phone app or something. A never-ending stream of personalized valentines. Would our attitudes change for the better if we had such a thing? Would our confidence increase on a steady diet of encouragement? Or would we take it for granted, eventually losing the meaning altogether? Obviously, it would need to be sincere and genuine. Not canned, but a Hallmark from the heart.

It was then that I was reminded that God has given us that very thing. Upon opening His Word, we find His enormous love letter. He has often lifted my chin and whispered "I have loved you with an everlasting love. Therefore I have drawn you with loving kindness." (Jeremiah 31:3). To which I respond. "Whom have I in heaven but You? And the earth has nothing I desire beside You. My flesh and my heart may fail, but You are the strength of my heart and my portion forever." (Psalm 73:26). Thus begins the sweet dialogue with my Savior. He alone loves me without condition. Regardless of how I look or feel, what I do or don't do. It was that love, after all, that wooed me into my relationship with Him twenty five years ago. His words of comfort, peace and promise of eternal life never fail to thrill me softly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stressing the Vine

Never Forget

Without a Doubt